10% of the Public Should Be Institutionalized

I can't credit who I first heard say this, simply because I don't remember. If I were to guess, I'd say it was Dave Ramsey. It is an interesting statement though. Don't you think? I can easily bring to mind people of nearly any group that should just be locked up. 10% of Christians. 10% of Whites; Blacks; Vegetarians; Environmentalists; Democrats; Republicans; and on and on. Yet it is these 10% that we put on television to represent the rest of us - the 90% that is normal.

One Bad Apple Spoils the Bunch

As an over-the-road truck driver for 14 years, I can tell you that without a doubt that 10% of the truck drivers on the highway make life tough for the rest of us. There are approximately 8 million Commercial drivers on the highway. 800,000 is a huge number. Divide that by the continental states, that means there are 16,666 morons per state each day that could turn the tide of public opinion against the other 7,200,000. Lay that metric on any group and the result is the same.

So, what do we do about it?

Washington has been trying for decades to legislate the lowest common denominator into submission, which has been a miserable failure. You cannot legislate behavior. You can only punish bad behavior. Stupid, or should it be said, irresponsible people are going to be that way until they choose not to. I can't force another commercial driver to back off and not tailgate. I can only get out of his way. Period. There are laws against tailgating, and there's not much more of a dangerous decision to make in a truck than tailgating, yet they make it just the same. All we are left to do is to protect ourselves from their stupidity. There is one more thing though. That is to speak up and identify ourselves as one of the 90%.

I am a Christian, a Christ-follower. There are people of the faith that my Pastor would refer to as, "goofy Christians." Enter here the story of the guy predicting the end of the world in May 2012. My personal belief is that this guy is an idiot. He could be spending his time teaching and showing the love of God, but instead he insists on making himself famous. Here's all I need to know:

Mark 13:32 “But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Followed up with:

Acts 1:7 "He said to them: 'It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.'"

Case closed. Next!

We can choose to allow the lowest common denominator to define us if we choose. That choice is totally our own. We have a free will under God's law as well as under man's law. I will no longer allow pop culture or mainstream media to define who I am and what I believe. I will decide that for myself. But there is a catch...if you're going to live what you believe, then you can't hide in the chaotic crowd. You will actually have to stand up for what you believe.

Posted on April 1, 2011 .